Monday, January 12, 2009

I just don't understand. I don't know what to do.

I started to write this earlier but I got distracted, imagine that haha. Damn ADD!

I was writing about one of the girls that I nanny for. We're going to call her....Abby. She's 12 years old, she's about 5 feet tall and I'm going to say around 140 pounds give or take. This child is extremely over weight. My best friend and I took the girls to the movies New Years Eve to see Bedtime Stories. Stephanie and I split a small popcorn and a small drink. We didn't finish either. The 3 girls had a large popcorn. The 2 younger girls split a drink and the oldest. Abby had a large drink (32oz.) The little girls had a little bit of popcorn. Steph and I watched Abby eat non-stop through out the movie. SHE ATE THE ENTIRE BUCKET OF POPCORN AND WANTED MORE! SHE ALSO DRANK THE WHOLE SODA AND WANTED MORE! As we watched her we noticed used both hands and always had popcorn in her mouth. Her eyes never once left the screen. I figured out later that she had almost 3,000 calories in a 2 hour movie. She doesn't even realize she's eating. After the movie she asked where we were going to lunch. We told her that we weren't going to lunch since you guys had a big bucket of popcorn. Oh by the way, the girls are Stephanie's cousins.

About a week ago I made pizza for the girls for dinner. The younger sister, let's call her Madelynn had two slices, I had one and Abby at the other 5. I cleaned up the dinner mess and started playing a game with Madelynn. About 10 minutes later I hear a bunch of noise in the kitchen, Abby is making ANOTHER pizza! I looked at her and said oh you're still hungry? Why don't you wait a little bit longer and if you're still hungry you can eat something else let's put the pizza away. She told me no she was still hungry and made the pizza anyway! ARE YOU READY FOR THIS??? SHE ATE THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!!!!!!!! SHE ATE 12 PIECES OF PIZZA!!! Not to mention she always has a "snack" when she gets home from school, I would call it a meal. A few days ago, I am again making a pizza. Abby pulls out some left over breaded porkchops and mashed potatoes. I let her eat those thinking that was all she was eating since the amount of potatoes she had covered a dinner plate and the pork chop was pretty big too. Nope she ate 4 pieces of pizza too. Tonight yet again I'm making pizza (it's easy and no mess lol). She again is eating a pork shop with like 12 loaded potatoe skins. I had 1/2 of a slice of pizza. Her sister wasn't hungry and said she would eat a bowl of cereal before bed. Abby ate the rest of the pizza!

This is beyond ridiculous! I'm still new to the family and I don't think it's my place to say anything but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum! I don't know what to do. Do I let her just eat or get stern with her and tell her no?? They have a huge pantry and it's nothing but junk food and all in reach of the girls. They have a side by side fridge that is packed full and an up-right deep freezer that is jammed full of crap. There's not a lot of healthy food. I've decided that the only way I can stay on my diet is if I bring my own food. She already has breathing problems. She's out of breath easily. She does nothing but sit in front of the computer or tv and eat. I know that when the family confronts her parents they get pissed. I'm not going to lie it's pretty much their fault. She's going to be going into Jr. High next year. It's going to be a painful experience for her and I'm scared for her.

I just don't know what to do. If any of you ladies could help that would be wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry! I would not even know what to do! It's like in one way you should... tell the parents.. so that she doesnt have to go through the bullying in middle school and high school... But its like.. where is your boundaries. Man i would be flippin out too.
    Maybe... I would start with trying to suggest healthier foods? or taking her places that have physical activity? Im not sure hun im sorry!

    ReplyDelete